At Ensto we work daily with businesses and individuals who are adopting EV charging. One question we get very often is should we install AC or DC? Well, before we explain why let’s explain what they are in relation to electric vehicles
AC charging is believed to be anywhere between 80-90% of total EV charging by 2020 whereas DC due to power requirements, practicality and cost will be found on the outskirts of major town and city infrastructure rather than urban environments.
1. Opportunistic Model: AC charging, the convenient way to charge, Whether you stop at work, when parking the car, or going shopping,
2. Logistics Model: DC Charging on major arterial routes such as motorways etc. Stop at
For those clever people out there yes there is a third model! But make sure you take in to account your needs!
3. The Hybrid Model: AC and DC in differing ratios are based on proximity to major cities or desire to attract people
Well, every blog written in Ensto
Right, so we get the premise and the model but how do we decide without getting caught out on cost? It doesn’t need to be that complicated when you take in the following 5 factors:
2. Proximity to the supply – the closer the better! Make sure this is evaluated in initial feasibility by suppliers
3. Customer type and target audience – Profile the customer is it for leisure, retail or fleet etc. what is the distance
4. Future scalability – It is more cost effective to lay the foundations for future EV stations while the ground is open. Identify
5. Software & Hardware type – do you need a wall box, pole mounted product, floor mounted? Do you have space or are you restricted? Is advertising revenue important to you? Do you need billing with
So there you have it from Norway to India! No matter the challenge the answers exist, always think SMART Business and you will keep your operational costs low and whether it is you, your staff or customers the experience will be a pleasure!
If you would like to know more as you enter
"Are you planning on building your own Electric Vehicle charging infrastructure?
Make sure that you make the right decisions - the kind that save you money instead of losing it. Get your complimentary copy of our request for proposal template"